The school is dedicated to the research and education in the areas of Communications Engineering, Information Systems Security, Broadband Network,and Signal and Information Processing, etc. It offers a wide variety ofprograms for more than 3800 undergraduates, 2000 master students, and 300 Ph.D. candidates covering seven subjects, including Communication and InformationSystem, Cryptography, Military Communication, Information Security, SpatialInformation Science, Optical Communication, and Traffic Information Engineering& Control.
The school has four teaching departments, two key laboratories, and two institutes.The divisions are organized as follows.
Departments of communications Engineering, Information Engineering, Electronic Technology, and Experiment and Teaching Center
KeyLaboratories of National Key Laboratory of Cyber Engineering, National Key Laboratory of Integrated Services Networks, Ministerial Key Laboratory of Wireless Communication
Institutesof Information Science and Information Security
The school undertakes academic and technological research projects spanning a wide range of areas in telecommunication and information technologies. The majority of these projects are supported by the government funds, including the national key fundamental research development program (973 program), the national natural science foundation, the national high technology research and development program (863 program), the major national scientific and technological project, etc. For the past five years, the school has obtained 40 National or Ministerial/Provincial awards, together with 125 inventions and patents. Our publications include 36 monographs, 1500 academic papers and 26 textbooks, three of which have been honored nationally and five provincially for excellence.
1. Wideband Wireless Communications System; 2. Wireless Ad Hoc Networks; 3. Cognitive Wireless Networks; 4. Modern Switch and Networking; 5. Mobile Computing; 6. Quantum Communications; 7. Channel Coding; 8. Network Coding; 9. Information Theory; 10. Deep Space Communication; 11. Optical Communication; 12. Coding and Modulation; 13. Image and Video Compression; 14. Information System Security; 15. Applied Cryptography; 16. MIMO-OFDM System; 17. Green Communications; 18. VehicularTechnology; 19. Internet of Things; 20. Smart Grid; 21. Network Management; 22. Signal Processing; 23. Network Measurement and Behavior; 24. Smart Antenna; 25. Cloud Computing; 26. Multimedia Communication; 27. Satellite Communication; 28. Ultra-Wideband Communications; 29. Burst Communication System; 30. High-rate DataTransmission; 31. Human-ComputerTrust Interaction; 32. RelayTransmission; 33. Anti-Jamming Communication; 34.Future Internet Architecture.
1.Effective Image Compression and Video Coding System
We have developed a high-performance image compression system, which was successfully used in Chinese Space Programs, such as Chang'e I spacecraft,Chang'e II spacecraft, Shenzhou VII spacecraft, Tiangong I spacecraft, and so on.The Chang'e II lunar probe has achieved a full-size moon image with a 7-meter resolution of 100% coverage, the highest one ever issued in the world. This achievement has been honored with National Prize for Progress in Science andTechnology.
2. Cognitive Wireless Ad Hoc Network
We have advanced the theory and technology of high dynamic cognitive ad hoc networks, which breaks through the technique bottleneck of large-scale development.We have also made significant innovations in spectrum detection, key node determination and fuzzy mixed adaptive routing protocol, which has reached the international level. The research has won the first Provincial Prize in Scienceand Technology.
3. Shannon Information Theory and Related Advancement
We have presented the theory of secure network coding, and proposed a method for constructing a family of asymptotically good quantum codes based on concatenation structures. We have also constructed resilient Boolean functions with near optimal nonlinearity, which was further developed into the well-known Xiao-Massey theorem. The related research results have been published in some important international journals, including Proceedings of the IEEE, IEEE Journalon Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory,and so on.
4. Efficient Wideb and Wireless Transmission System
We have proposed the construction and decoding methods for the low-complexity multi-element LDPC code and have firstly designed the related encoder and decoder on GF(64). We have also developed optimized methods for combining channel code and network code, and novel cooperated transmission protocols. We have published our research results in some important journals, for instance,IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, etc.
5. Information Network Security Theory and Technology
We have developed the Wireless Authentication and Privacy Infrastructure (WAPI)for wireless information network security. As an influential national standard,WAPI has been adopted by more than 100 domestic and overseas manufacturers.WAPI has successfully broken the international technique monopolization and was honored with National Award for Technological Invention. We have also proposed the Triple-Element and Peer-to-Peer Authentication (TePA) for access control.TePA has been approved as an international standard by ISO/IEC, which was one of the top 10 technique events of national communication industry in 2010. The core patent of TePA has won the Golden Patent Award in China.